Skip to main content

Digital Breakout Creation/testing

This adventure in learning began when one of my 6th grade science teachers approached me prior to spring break wanting to plan a BreakoutEDU game. She wanted a game based on the unit her students were wrapping up, Plants and Ecosystems.  I searched the BreakoutEDU webpage without luck, and decided we'd have to create something to fit the needs of her and her students. 

We met together and she was able to walk me through a good bit of the material, and we were able to bounce some puzzle ideas off one another.  She wanted to cover the cycles that take place in an ecosystem; water cycle, carbon cycle, photosynthesis, and pollination to name a few.  She also wanted to include different types of biomes, as well as a variety of flowering plants. Identifying the parts of a plant and symbiotic relationships rounded out our discussion that day.

After our meeting I tried to get to work on designing puzzles to match our chosen topics, but my wheels were spinning, and I really lacked direction and motivation.  I'm not sure how long I sat in that funk, but as soon as my backstory started to come into focus, the puzzles started writing themselves.  I decided to write the game from the perspective of plants and animals in an ecosystem, and telling their stories through social-media puzzles.  

Symbiotic relationships correlated to a Facebook relationship status.  The food chain worked with song titles on Spotify.  Snapchat fit with labeling plant parts, and counting Instagram likes in specific plant photographs made sense.  The directional arrow paired with tweets about plant processes worked perfectly. I was also able to create a text conversation that proved to be so simple it was challenging.

I was so excited for game day, that I was awake before my alarm had gone off. I just knew that the student would LOVE the game I had designed.  Boy, was I in for a rude awakening.  I'm not sure if my puzzles were just that difficult, or the student just struggled to make the connections, but the first class was difficult.  No-one broke out, and several didn't even open a single lock. Afterwards, I had time to recreate and adapt some puzzles so that the game would be more appropriate for the students.  The next classes were still a struggle, but were also slightly more successful.  At the end of the day I felt quite defeated, but my colleague assured me that the game was solid, and it was the students that really needed to apply themselves more in order to achieve success.  I created a digital version of the game over the weekend and shared it with her so that her students could have another shot at the puzzles.

I have since tweaked the game even more, rewriting some of the clues to be a bit more to the point.  I do believe I created something that was a bit too advanced for those sixth graders.  

I have a group of 6th graders trying the digital version of the game tomorrow. I'm eager to see how they do and get feedback from them so that I can continue to improve the game.  I really did enjoy creating it, and I hope the students can enjoy working through it.

Want to try the game?  Click the link below:

https://sites.google.com/burke.k12.nc.us/plantfeed/home?authuser=0

Comments

  1. "I'm not sure how long I sat in that funk, but as soon as my backstory started to come into focus, the puzzles started writing themselves."
    This would totally be me! I've never tried to create my own Digital Breakout b/c of this fear. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to bring the whole thing together in a cohesive fashion. I love that you emphasized the fact that the STORY is what led you to the eventual success of your project. I know that's been stressed a number of times in Breakout communities: stories/the challenges/relevancy are what drive students and help them complete the Breakout. Even breakouts that are labeled to be appropriate for a certain grade level are likely to be challenging for some students in the group. Kudos to you for reworking the original to make it meaningful for your students!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BreakoutEDU, YES!

Plan. Schedule. Print. Prep. Hide clues. Set locks. Test locks. Double-check clues.  Breathe. Engage. Breakout! I won't sugarcoat this, the process of preparing for my first BreakoutEDU session took me a long time!  (I used a pre-made game, Grammar Guru, it was great by-the-way!) However, every bit of time I spent printing, cutting, re-printing, scanning, and building was WORTH IT! Cyndi Childers, a 6th grade teacher at East Burke Middle School, was looking for something to get her students engaged, and I knew Breakout was just the trick. We ran two simultaneous games in two rooms, with Cyndi facilitating one room and myself in the other.  We had groups about about 12-15 students in each room.  The group size worked, it could have been smaller, but it really wasn't bad at all.   This game has a progression of clue finding, one leading to another, so they were all somewhat forced to be working together on 1-2 clues at once, which I liked.  This helped ensure that all/mo
This week was the first of the BCPS summer schedule, Monday through Thursday, with 11 and 12 month employees working 10 hour days.  On paper that sounds awesome, a three day weekend, and getting your 40 hour work-week in.  Well, I completed this four day work week.   And... I. AM. TIRED.   It didn't help that I forgot to turn my 4:50am alarm off, and was wide awake this morning well before sunrise.  However, its after 10am now, and I've had my coffee and shower, and I'm feeling alive.  This week has been productive, successful, and exhausting!  The team of Instructional Tech Facilitators had been assigned the task of setting up all the school/grade level sets of iPads with Apple Configurator in an effort to get them managed by Filewave.   We met Monday morning at Salem Elementary to get started with a cart of 30 iPads.  This was a teaching/learning session in which a team of all the ITFs serving the elementary schools worked together.  We successfully g

What's the Purpose of Education?!

What do you see as the purpose of education?   Why might innovation be crucial in education? In my head it's hard to come up with the 'purpose' of education because it seems like such an enormous idea that encompasses so much more than classrooms, books, and tests.   I'll do my best, but forgive the run-on sentences that may follow.  I think the purpose of education is to help students reach their potential.  I think educators are required to challenge students to prepare themselves for both the known and unknown.  Learners must be provided a safe place to take risks, ask questions, search for answers, share opinions, fail, and try again.  The purpose of education is to empower those that feel powerless, to help them see that their circumstances don't define them, and that they can find a better way.  I think education should encourage problem, ideas, and solutions and embrace new ways to do things. Our job as educators is to provide an environment in which