Skip to main content

Staff Meeting = Play Time

For the past four years the North Carolina Digital Leaders Coaching Network (NCDLCN) has been a driving force in my growth as a coach.  I have been able to grow my professional network, stretch my thinking, grow through reflection, and put new ideas into practice.  The most recent NCDLCN session I participated in was an alumni session focussed on the concept of design thinking.  I didn't exactly know what I was getting into, but I knew that I would learn something new, be with my people, and have a blast. That I did.

As part of the design thinking process each participant was paired with another to work through the process.  The best part of this partnership, was two-fold; my partner was Delaine, one of my mentees from the 2016-2017 cohort, and the purpose of the design thinking process we were to work through was to solve our partner's problem!  This was so powerful!  I love helping people solve their problems, mine, not-so-much.  

At the end of our two day challenge, Delaine identified a solution to my problem, and gave me a gift.  See below:


My gift from Delaine, a solution.

So, Delaine said I need to help my teachers play, laugh, and flip out, build trust, and then do the work.  She nailed the solution to the problem I didn't realize I had.  We needed to build a culture of teamwork, but before we can work together efficiently, we need to establish some foundational relationships.  These relationships must branch out past our grade-level hallways in order to be fruitful!

Enter the Uno Tournament staff meeting. I did some research and gathered some fun tidbits to share with my principals, you can find it here.  I got commitments from 2 of my principals, which I considered a win!




I created a Google Slides presentation to share with the staff, before and after, designed the tournament bracket, and picked up some prizes along with 8 decks of UNO cards.  




The outcome: The folks that were able to stay for the meeting had a blast!!  We saw personalities that don't normally emerge from day-to-day business.  The competition was fierce and laughing was infectious. More than one staff member stopped me to thank me for the experience!  

Now, was it an incredible experience for everyone? No.  You can't please them all.  However, I feel like the experience was a valuable one for everyone.  Fun and games do belong in the work-place, and especially in schools.  I think everyone could walk away from our tournament feeling a little lighter, and a little less stressed.  

Now, the ultimate goal of this tournament was to get folks into each others classrooms. I followed up the next day with an email to the staff inviting them to visit the classrooms of the other three players from their original table.  I suggested that they visit this classroom within 2-3 weeks of our game.  I will be following up with them after the break to see what they learned from their colleagues.

I'll be running UNO Tournament #2 at another school this week, I'll be sure to add my findings in an update to this post.

Hope my fellow 'NCDLCN Design Thinkers' are making progress on their ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BreakoutEDU, YES!

Plan. Schedule. Print. Prep. Hide clues. Set locks. Test locks. Double-check clues.  Breathe. Engage. Breakout! I won't sugarcoat this, the process of preparing for my first BreakoutEDU session took me a long time!  (I used a pre-made game, Grammar Guru, it was great by-the-way!) However, every bit of time I spent printing, cutting, re-printing, scanning, and building was WORTH IT! Cyndi Childers, a 6th grade teacher at East Burke Middle School, was looking for something to get her students engaged, and I knew Breakout was just the trick. We ran two simultaneous games in two rooms, with Cyndi facilitating one room and myself in the other.  We had groups about about 12-15 students in each room.  The group size worked, it could have been smaller, but it really wasn't bad at all.   This game has a progression of clue finding, one leading to another, so they were all somewhat forced to be working together on 1-2 clues at once, which I liked.  This helped ensure that all/mo
This week was the first of the BCPS summer schedule, Monday through Thursday, with 11 and 12 month employees working 10 hour days.  On paper that sounds awesome, a three day weekend, and getting your 40 hour work-week in.  Well, I completed this four day work week.   And... I. AM. TIRED.   It didn't help that I forgot to turn my 4:50am alarm off, and was wide awake this morning well before sunrise.  However, its after 10am now, and I've had my coffee and shower, and I'm feeling alive.  This week has been productive, successful, and exhausting!  The team of Instructional Tech Facilitators had been assigned the task of setting up all the school/grade level sets of iPads with Apple Configurator in an effort to get them managed by Filewave.   We met Monday morning at Salem Elementary to get started with a cart of 30 iPads.  This was a teaching/learning session in which a team of all the ITFs serving the elementary schools worked together.  We successfully g

What's the Purpose of Education?!

What do you see as the purpose of education?   Why might innovation be crucial in education? In my head it's hard to come up with the 'purpose' of education because it seems like such an enormous idea that encompasses so much more than classrooms, books, and tests.   I'll do my best, but forgive the run-on sentences that may follow.  I think the purpose of education is to help students reach their potential.  I think educators are required to challenge students to prepare themselves for both the known and unknown.  Learners must be provided a safe place to take risks, ask questions, search for answers, share opinions, fail, and try again.  The purpose of education is to empower those that feel powerless, to help them see that their circumstances don't define them, and that they can find a better way.  I think education should encourage problem, ideas, and solutions and embrace new ways to do things. Our job as educators is to provide an environment in which