Skip to main content

You joined Twitter, now what?

Last week, the Technology department with Burke County Public Schools hosted the (o annual Digital Teaching and Learning Conferences #bcpsdtlc for all teachers and staff.  The turnout was incredible, the atmosphere was electric, and the sessions were buzzing with excitement.  It was a fun day of learning and networking for all that participated.

Our keynote speaker, "The Library Girl" @jenniferlagarde, was inspiring as always.  Jennifer encouraged all of us to share our stories, to be our own media sources, and to get the word out about what's great in our schools and classrooms.  Many of our teachers responded, and have since joined the wonderful place that is Twitter!  

I love Twitter and have been a member for several years and each year my interaction with Twitter changes, but the value of the network I've created is immeasurable.  Here are some tips or ideas that helped me grow my PLN (Personal Learning Network).


  • Lurk for awhile.  When I joined Twitter initially it was very, very intimidating.  I had no idea who to follow, or how to even get started finding folks to follow.  To be honest I don't remember my Twitter infancy.  Starting out, I followed coworkers, and searched hashtags for things that interested me, and followed some of the individuals that were tweeting about things I wanted to learn more about.  I didn't tweet much at all, but I followed many and read, a lot.
  • Check out a chat.  Educators all over the world participate in Twitter chats using various hashtags.  There are sooo many different chats available and there is something out there for everyone.  You can find a schedule of them here.I've participated in #kinderchat and #edchat and enjoyed the experience each time. Sites like Tweetdeck or Hootsuite are helpful with keeping up with chats as they can move very quickly.
  • Use hashtags.  Add hashtags to your tweets, and search for information by using hashtags.  Create a hashtag for all of your tweets and share it with your students/parents.  This can help create a community discussion.  Searching by hashtags is also a great way to find great information.  For example I've learned a great deal from #daily5.
  • Use it!  Twitter can be a 24/7 PD opportunity.  Follow great educators that are sharing great ideas, and you can learn all day everyday.  The great thing about Twitter is that is always there for you.  Reach out to your PLN for help and more often than not they will be just what you need.  I use my PLN to find #mysteryskype participants to get connected to classrooms all across the world.
Good luck, happy tweeting, and let's connect!
@ewolfhope

Comments

  1. Hi Erin,
    We met at NCTIES this year when I attended your PD Challenge session. I am a DLF for Buncombe County Schools and we are considering implementing the PD Challenge in our district. I was wondering if you could give me more information regarding the BCGEC? These are the questions I have: How many people were in a cohort? What was the time frame of the trainings? Was the training face to face, blended, or totally online? If you could send me some information about this I would appreciate it. My email address is kendra.jarvis@bcsemail.org

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BreakoutEDU, YES!

Plan. Schedule. Print. Prep. Hide clues. Set locks. Test locks. Double-check clues.  Breathe. Engage. Breakout! I won't sugarcoat this, the process of preparing for my first BreakoutEDU session took me a long time!  (I used a pre-made game, Grammar Guru, it was great by-the-way!) However, every bit of time I spent printing, cutting, re-printing, scanning, and building was WORTH IT! Cyndi Childers, a 6th grade teacher at East Burke Middle School, was looking for something to get her students engaged, and I knew Breakout was just the trick. We ran two simultaneous games in two rooms, with Cyndi facilitating one room and myself in the other.  We had groups about about 12-15 students in each room.  The group size worked, it could have been smaller, but it really wasn't bad at all.   This game has a progression of clue finding, one leading to another, so they were all somewhat forced to be working together on 1-2 clues at once, which I liked.  This helped ensure that all/mo
This week was the first of the BCPS summer schedule, Monday through Thursday, with 11 and 12 month employees working 10 hour days.  On paper that sounds awesome, a three day weekend, and getting your 40 hour work-week in.  Well, I completed this four day work week.   And... I. AM. TIRED.   It didn't help that I forgot to turn my 4:50am alarm off, and was wide awake this morning well before sunrise.  However, its after 10am now, and I've had my coffee and shower, and I'm feeling alive.  This week has been productive, successful, and exhausting!  The team of Instructional Tech Facilitators had been assigned the task of setting up all the school/grade level sets of iPads with Apple Configurator in an effort to get them managed by Filewave.   We met Monday morning at Salem Elementary to get started with a cart of 30 iPads.  This was a teaching/learning session in which a team of all the ITFs serving the elementary schools worked together.  We successfully g

What's the Purpose of Education?!

What do you see as the purpose of education?   Why might innovation be crucial in education? In my head it's hard to come up with the 'purpose' of education because it seems like such an enormous idea that encompasses so much more than classrooms, books, and tests.   I'll do my best, but forgive the run-on sentences that may follow.  I think the purpose of education is to help students reach their potential.  I think educators are required to challenge students to prepare themselves for both the known and unknown.  Learners must be provided a safe place to take risks, ask questions, search for answers, share opinions, fail, and try again.  The purpose of education is to empower those that feel powerless, to help them see that their circumstances don't define them, and that they can find a better way.  I think education should encourage problem, ideas, and solutions and embrace new ways to do things. Our job as educators is to provide an environment in which