Skip to main content

Mystery Skype with Third Grade

Mrs. Stamey and Mrs. Robertson at Icard Elementary have been excellent to work with this year! They have been eager and willing when I bring them an idea for an activity. We've muscled through some iffy situations with geocaching... (mowers, weather, and satellites), but we've had great success with both of our "Mystery Skype" sessions. 

We met up in the media center, each student had a job, armed with index cards, and iPad, or a map and marker. This was a simplified version of how we participated in the middle school setting. The 3rd graders needed only to find the state of the partner class. Our first attempt went really well in that we asked a difficult question that had to be answered with both a yes and a no, which led us pretty quickly to where they were. Our second session was definitely a learning experience for the young geographers. We were the 7th call of the day for our partner class, and boy did they have their questioning down pat. We took away some question ideas from them. Here are some example questions we'll remember for next time:
  • Is your state one of the 13 colonies? 
  • Does your state border an ocean? (Not a specific ocean.) 
  • Does your state being with a consonant/vowel? 
  • Does your state have a cardinal direction in its name? 
  • Does your state have two words in its name? 

Even the students took notice to the questions we were being asked. They acknowledged that they were being asked some really good questions, and they would come back and ask our partner class the exact same question we had been asked. We all learned a lot from that group! Can't wait to get a schedule going so we can do this more regularly next school year!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BreakoutEDU, YES!

Plan. Schedule. Print. Prep. Hide clues. Set locks. Test locks. Double-check clues.  Breathe. Engage. Breakout! I won't sugarcoat this, the process of preparing for my first BreakoutEDU session took me a long time!  (I used a pre-made game, Grammar Guru, it was great by-the-way!) However, every bit of time I spent printing, cutting, re-printing, scanning, and building was WORTH IT! Cyndi Childers, a 6th grade teacher at East Burke Middle School, was looking for something to get her students engaged, and I knew Breakout was just the trick. We ran two simultaneous games in two rooms, with Cyndi facilitating one room and myself in the other.  We had groups about about 12-15 students in each room.  The group size worked, it could have been smaller, but it really wasn't bad at all.   This game has a progression of clue finding, one leading to another, so they were all somewhat forced to be working together on 1-2 clues at once, which I liked.  This help...
This week was the first of the BCPS summer schedule, Monday through Thursday, with 11 and 12 month employees working 10 hour days.  On paper that sounds awesome, a three day weekend, and getting your 40 hour work-week in.  Well, I completed this four day work week.   And... I. AM. TIRED.   It didn't help that I forgot to turn my 4:50am alarm off, and was wide awake this morning well before sunrise.  However, its after 10am now, and I've had my coffee and shower, and I'm feeling alive.  This week has been productive, successful, and exhausting!  The team of Instructional Tech Facilitators had been assigned the task of setting up all the school/grade level sets of iPads with Apple Configurator in an effort to get them managed by Filewave.   We met Monday morning at Salem Elementary to get started with a cart of 30 iPads.  This was a teaching/learning session in which a team of all the ITFs serving the elementary schools wor...

September, eesh!

Back to school season is full of events, changes, new people, meetings, and for the Wolfhope family, a periodic fever syndrome for our younger son.  The stress of handling 'all the things' is often tolerable for me, until it's not. I love my job, and the responsibility and the freedom to try and fail, but ultimately succeed. I like knowing how to do things, things that are really kind of over my head, but I think I may be addicted to learning new things. That quest for always knowing more, the love of figuring things out, and the genuine joy I get for solving problems and helping people has really carried me through one of the most eventful Septembers I can remember. But... I'm no superwoman. I have failed, and failed, and failed over and over again. I have let stress and a workload carry-over at home, often distracted, or saying, "I'm almost done." I was overcome with tears, just days prior to my son's surgery date. He's fine. He's a champio...